- Setup. Lie on the flat bench with your eyes under the bar. Lift your chest and squeeze your shoulder-blades. Feet flat on the floor.
- Grab the bar. Put your pinky on the ring marks of your bar. Hold the bar in the base of your palm with a full grip and straight wrists.
- Unrack. Take a big breath and unrack the bar by straightening your arms. Move the bar over your shoulders with your elbows locked.
- Lower the bar. Lower it to your mid-chest while tucking your elbows 75°. Keep your forearms vertical. Hold your breath at the bottom.
- Press. Press the bar from your mid-chest to above your shoulders. Keep your butt on the bench. Lock your elbows at the top. Breathe.
If you’d like a print version of these tips, download my Bench Press Tip Sheet. It’s a simple one page document that covers the most important tips to Bench Press with proper form. Print it, take it with you to the gym and review the tips between sets. This way you’re sure you’re Bench Pressing with proper form and get stronger without injuring your shoulders.